Author Topic: 12v power outlet  (Read 465 times)

Offline JTL

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: England
12v power outlet
on: July 06, 2020, 01:40:28 PM
I need to get power to my Sat Nav and I was going to wire it into the 12v connector under the left side trim panel by the dash.  I've found the connector, which is blanked off.  It's purpose is to connect the optional 12V Outlet (DC socket).

I don't want to pay Kawasaki 61 for the socket so I'm going to get a suitable connector from Kojaycat and wire it in myself.  However I can't get the blanking plug out of the connector on the loom to match one to it.   The dealer hadn't removed one, so was no help.

I don't want break anything, so does anyone know how to remove this blanking plug??

Offline AberSi

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Usk
Re: 12v power outlet
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:18:18 PM
Hi JTL
Did you manage to get the blanking plug off & use the plug as planned?

Offline JTL

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: England
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:20:50 PM
Nope - still can't get it out.  I can't get to the catch to release the blanking plug .

Offline SaltyStream

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2020 Z H2
  • Town / City: Roa
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 10:15:12 PM
It is a terrible design by Kawasaki!
I think the dealer will charge you a fortune to install the OEM 12V socket.
I bought it and did some thinking (and dismantling) to find out to be able to get to the connector/blanking plug.
The instructions that came with the 12V socket kit shows that the tank and most plastic parts must be removed to get to the plug.
I was able to just remove the left side panel, move the expansion tank out of the way, and use a "hook" (actually one of my wife's many knitting pins  :001:) to get to the connector.
Had to cut some of the insulation open to be able to get enough slack on the wire to be able to "click" the connectors together.

Not only Kawasaki that has idiotic design regarding wiring and placement of connectors.
On my ex Speed Triple (2018) the connector for the QS was just as "unreachable" without major dismantling (or tiny "Japanese" hands)  :006: