Author Topic: Installed DNA Preformance Air filer  (Read 9060 times)

Offline Wavshrdr

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: JAX
Re: Installed DNA Preformance Air filer
Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 01:43:53 AM
The problem with the CW review, is they don't say how quickly it got to that temp. Who knows, maybe all is ok at 239 but at 245, it all goes to hell. They were running on a cool day compared to my normal rides. I am normally startgin with 90F temps minimum almost any time I am riding. Factor in if you run more boost, and it is going to get even worse. PV=nRT (Boyles ideal gas law). A simplistic view for our purposes, since the equation is balanced, P (pressure) is on one side of the equation and T (temp) is on the other. So when pressure goes up, so do the temps. Since V (volume) and on the same side as P, when P goes up, V goes down (ergo compressed air). Doesn't matter how we do it, super charging, turbo, any sort of air compressor, etc. The motor is just an air pump at its core.

@Dunno - glad you found an option you like. For me the Z H2 has an even more cramped seat pocket as a 1000 Ninja I had and an equally terrible stock seat. I have a KTM Duke 890R and it is has more seat and cockpit room than my Z. The Z is about as cramped as a Panigale I had. At the end of the day, 200HP, while not a small amount of HP, is saddled by an over 500 pound bike. That takes some of the fun off the motor. The 1290 SDR just crushes the Z H2 with torque until the Z is at 8k or more. Factor in the weight advantage of the SDR and the Z has a lot to catch up to.

I bought the Z with the intent if I ever got bored of its stock power, hopefully the ECU would be unlocked and I could get it to where I thought it should have been from the factory. I bought the 890R afterwards and I wanted a really nimble, great handling and braking bike. That last sentence doesn't really apply to the ZH2. While it handles fairly well, its weight, crappy rear shock, and sub par rider aids (compared to the KTM) hinder it a lot. I treat it more like an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missle) when I want something to ride that I can point down some straight and pull the trigger and let it launch. Its a blast to ride when I use it like that or sort of a easy back road runner. It was never designed to be a canyon carver and I respect that about it. Its all about the right tool for the job.

So hopefully we can all learn from each other and make our Z's into whatever we want, keep the motor together, have a lot of fun and arrive alive.

Offline yav92

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: Z-H2 2020
  • Town / City: Kiryat Ono
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 10:31:10 AM
Yeah at first when I'm going to tune the ecu ill open throttle 100% all way and rev limit +500,will lower fan temp and fix fuel AFR,ill share here the dyno results and let you know but as you know of ita gonna take same time until the ecu will be Crack.  But we are all waiting:)
Ignition value its something id rater not touch as start until will see all going well and motor like the changes we make:).
Hopefully we can get 220-230hp safely
This is the reason for lots of people here that bought this bike so they can have something special and powerful
WILL Be !

Offline dunno

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 ZH2
  • Town / City: Irvine
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 05:47:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Wavshrdr [+]
The problem with the CW review, is they don't say how quickly it got to that temp. Who knows, maybe all is ok at 239 but at 245, it all goes to hell. They were running on a cool day compared to my normal rides. I am normally startgin with 90F temps minimum almost any time I am riding. Factor in if you run more boost, and it is going to get even worse. PV=nRT (Boyles ideal gas law). A simplistic view for our purposes, since the equation is balanced, P (pressure) is on one side of the equation and T (temp) is on the other. So when pressure goes up, so do the temps. Since V (volume) and on the same side as P, when P goes up, V goes down (ergo compressed air). Doesn't matter how we do it, super charging, turbo, any sort of air compressor, etc. The motor is just an air pump at its core.

@Dunno - glad you found an option you like. For me the Z H2 has an even more cramped seat pocket as a 1000 Ninja I had and an equally terrible stock seat. I have a KTM Duke 890R and it is has more seat and cockpit room than my Z. The Z is about as cramped as a Panigale I had. At the end of the day, 200HP, while not a small amount of HP, is saddled by an over 500 pound bike. That takes some of the fun off the motor. The 1290 SDR just crushes the Z H2 with torque until the Z is at 8k or more. Factor in the weight advantage of the SDR and the Z has a lot to catch up to.

I bought the Z with the intent if I ever got bored of its stock power, hopefully the ECU would be unlocked and I could get it to where I thought it should have been from the factory. I bought the 890R afterwards and I wanted a really nimble, great handling and braking bike. That last sentence doesn't really apply to the ZH2. While it handles fairly well, its weight, crappy rear shock, and sub par rider aids (compared to the KTM) hinder it a lot. I treat it more like an ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missle) when I want something to ride that I can point down some straight and pull the trigger and let it launch. Its a blast to ride when I use it like that or sort of a easy back road runner. It was never designed to be a canyon carver and I respect that about it. Its all about the right tool for the job.

So hopefully we can all learn from each other and make our Z's into whatever we want, keep the motor together, have a lot of fun and arrive alive.

Yep I agree! I am surprised you find the cockpit so cramped, I'm 6'2" and actually wish the foot pegs/controls were a couple inches higher to get my knees in the tank cut outs vs. against the frame. I would love to try an 890 Duke, I like KTM, my last bike was a 1290 Super Adventure... the Super Duke I just found too cramped. There are definitely better options for pure canyon carving but I am finding the Z pretty damn fun in the canyons myself, and once the world opens up again I do a fair amount of commuting miles and find the Z awesome on the highway, stable and comfy (especially now with the taller Powerbronze screen takes all that blast off my chest). I am unfortunately limited to a one bike garage so always have to find a "do it all" bike for me. Only thing I don't love so far is the damn gas light coming on at 85-90 miles, hoping for a slight improvement anyway once the motor loosens up more.
"That bike has too much power"... said no one ever

Offline Wavshrdr

• ZH2 Pro
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 08:24:06 PM
@yav92 - I keep hoping someone will crack the ECU soon, while there are a lot of people vocal about, I am sure there are 10 times more lurking in the background waiting as well. The first person to offer a tune will probably make a fortune. So I am sure there is a race to the market so to speak.

@dunno - There are so many things I do like about the ZH2 and if I was limited to just one bike, it would be hard to decide which way to go. I hate to say it but I'd probably pass on both my Z and 890 and probably go with my 1260 Multistrada. It will rip up a backroad really well (better than the Z but behind the 890), cruise all day if I want in comfort, not as quick as the Z but stronger below 5k rpm. I probably ride the 890 the most as it is a great daily rider with plenty of power for the street and I am not filling up every 80 miles or so either. I can't wait for cooler weaither to finally arrive so I can really sample what the Z has to offer. I'll probably ride it a lot more after I replce the rear shock. The Kawi comfort seat did help my longer rides. My butt can now last longer than my fuel tank so each stop gives my rear time to rest.

Now if Kawi would come back out with a turbo bike, like my old GPZ750 turbo, I'd be even more interested than a supercharged bike. I have actually thought about running some nitrous on the Z. Not something like a 50 shot, but more like a 10 -25 HP shot. Not for the extra HP which would be nice, but to cool the intake temps. It could really cool the intake charge and as an added bonus, a nice little HP boost. A nitrous bottle lasts a long time when you are spraying so little. Did that on some other vehicles. One I used it on just to help eliminate any turbo lag when I had to run a bigger turbo than I wanted to get the boost I needed.

Offline dunno

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 ZH2
  • Town / City: Irvine
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 09:14:09 PM
@wavshrdr

Is your Multi stable at high speed? That was the problem with my super adventure, developed a head shake at about 120 mph or so. Was trying different things trying to get rid of it when I got a tank slapper at 125 and ate it. I have heard the Multis can get the same head shake, itís why I went away from the super adventure loved every other thing about the bike
Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:16:34 PM by dunno
"That bike has too much power"... said no one ever

Offline Wavshrdr

• ZH2 Pro
Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 10:23:55 PM
@dunno - my Multi has been rock solid. Ran it up to 140 with the bags on it with no issues. Never ran it up without the bags so likely faster but I do like to stay out of jail. Like a bike addict, I have 2 other ADV bikes and they have been solid as well. I've been to the rev limiter on my S1000XR which puts it at about 160 without the bags. I have a Honda Africa Twin (way down on HP compared to the other two) and it tops out at about 130 or so, no bags. It would go all day at that speed without any wobble. One thing to note though is I took the time to make sure all the bikes have the correct air pressure and I've setup the suspension sag and dampening for my weight and load.

As for the KTM SA, I test road one a few years ago and bought the S1000XR. I noticed the SA started to weave at 90-100 on a test ride and no amount of fiddling with the electronic suspension could quell that for me. So it was a hard pass even though it was my first choice to buy. I do a lot of high speed running and I knew that would be an issue for me. Pretty common to be able to cruise at a rapid pace where I lived then and now. I was doing a lot of commuting at the time between the Bay Area and Irvine for work. Down on Sunday and back on Thursday. I did it instead of flying.

Offline Ditch-Ninja

• ZH2 Pro
  • Town / City: Kansas
Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 10:39:55 PM

I get your fear of re gearing the supercharger. As an owner of a 320hp 2018 H2 Carbon edition. The motors on these bikes can handle it. The big changes between the models is the fins on the supercharger and the heads. Re gearing the supercharger is very easy with mechanical knowledge. You are not going to harm anything on this bike calm your self.

The other huge power gain was the intercooler sitting inside my airbox/ it is part of my billet airbox. Pull the screens sitting in your air box you will find 4 of them as well.

You haven't played with many superchargers i take it.

NOW WITH WARNING. With more air you need more fuel. I changed the gears and the computer unflashed got upset. So don't push it until we can control the computer.
Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:48:44 PM by Ditch-Ninja

Offline Wavshrdr

• ZH2 Pro
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 11:02:34 PM
@ditch-ninja - I have no fear of superchargers, going on over 40 years of experience. First supercharged car was a Studebaker Avanti R2. It had a factory supercharger designed very similar to what is used on the Kawasaki. Last supercharged car was an AMG Mercedes with a factory supercharger.

I am not worried about regearing your blower, no issues. I think you are confusing the motor configuration in the H2 and the Z H2. There are key differences between the 2 that limit the Z H2 without significant mods. The Z H2 has no intercooler, relies on the intake plenum to help cool. The bigger issue is it is running 11.8 to one compression ratio vs the 8.5 in the H2. That directly limits how much boost we can run (more boost + fuel = more HP) without encontering detonation. That along with lack of an intercooler increase the risk of grendating the motor.

Offline Ditch-Ninja

• ZH2 Pro
  • Town / City: Kansas
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 11:09:14 PM
My intercooler on my H2 is after market they don't have one stock either.

Offline yav92

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: Z-H2 2020
  • Town / City: Kiryat Ono
Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 08:08:48 AM
*Originally Posted by Ditch-Ninja [+]
The other huge power gain was the intercooler sitting inside my airbox/ it is part of my billet airbox. Pull the screens sitting in your air box you will find 4 of them as well.

The screen you said to take off ita the 4 screens with 3 screws? I attached picture

chaos