Author Topic: Front Suspension "Comfort" Tweak  (Read 790 times)

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Murrieta
Front Suspension "Comfort" Tweak
on: February 04, 2021, 02:05:28 AM
Let me first say, I realize that suspension performance opinions are very subjective. Since buying, I haven't been happy with the forks. I've spent lots of miles and time trying to tune out the borderline harshness with the clickers. The front doesn't do a stellar job of absorbing sharp edges. Did a little homework and found out that the front fork ex-factory uses fork oil that is roughly equivalent to 10W fork oil. Yes, I know that fork oil viscosity ratings vary for a myriad of reasons but at least it's a guide. Anyway, I changed the fork oil in the left leg only, as it's the leg with the adjusters and used Silkolene RSF 2.5. The result was dramatic. My forks are now "PLUSH" but still very precise. Just rolls over all the imperfections. Highly recommend if you feel the front is a bit harsh. 

Offline Hacsimoto

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: zh2 ,crf1000l,mt10
  • Town / City: Tolnanémedi
Re: Front Suspension "Comfort" Tweak
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:46 AM

Hello. It is good to hear. Can you tell me how much oil you put in it? How many ml?

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 02:10:14 AM
*Originally Posted by Hacsimoto [+]
Hello. It is good to hear. Can you tell me how much oil you put in it? How many ml?

Hacsimoto. Here in the US, Kawasaki does not have the service manual available for the Z H2. I did a little homework and found out that the 2013 and later ZX-6R has a very similar front suspension to our bikes. Basically the fork legs are reversed. I went on manualslib and downloaded from the factory service manual for the ZX-6R the fork oil change instructions and you will find on Youtube a video of a guy rebuilding the Big Piston fork on a ZX-6R. You will need a few special tools. The fork top cap is 45mm and Bikemaster sells a very nice tool with a 17mm hex on top to remove the cap. You will also need a Showa BP cartridge tool to remove the cartridge and springs. Racetech sells the tool: TFCH 06. Nice to have but not mandatory is a 33 mm open end wrench to work the top of the cartridge tool but a large crescent wrench will work. Also nice to have is a fork spring compression tool (Racetech TFSC 01) to compress the cartridge down to the threads to get it screwed in again. A strong third pair of hands which I didn't have will probably work. When I opened up the fork, the oil level was 85mm. When I replaced the oil, it took 490mm of oil to achieve that oil level.

I see you are just South of Lake Balaton. My wife and I keep bikes at my relative's place in Stubenberg, Austria, not far from your location. Early Fall 2019 we toured through Hungary and I can well understand your wanting a compliant and plush suspension. The less traveled secondary roads are seriously bumpy! Almost knocked some of my tooth fillings loose. That being said, the newer main arteries that have been rebuilt are smooth as glass. You live in a beautiful country. Friendly people. Good food.

Offline Hacsimoto

• ZH2 Member
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:42 AM
Thanks for this great answer. Yes the roads are very bad so I keep even a Crf 1000l Africa Twint. But if I need a little adrenaline, I'll take out Zh2.
I will try what you did with the first suspension, thank you. Your country is also beautiful, but I have not been there yet.In the back I want an Öhlins, but it will only be available in mid-May.

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Since doing this job, I have received my factory service manual with OEM numbers.

Left Fork Leg

Specs: Oil SS-47

Approximate Oil Capacity: 485 ml

Oil Level: 76 +/- 2mm

Right fork leg

Specs: Oil SS-47

Approximate Oil Capacity: 505 ml

Oil Level: 76 +/- 2 mm

Offline Hacsimoto

• ZH2 Member