Author Topic: What kinds of riders here...  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Sikeonbike

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Seattleish
What kinds of riders here...
on: April 25, 2021, 06:55:07 PM
The Z H2 is a different kind of bike, so it got me wondering about the riders who pick it. I was a track day speed demon when younger. Got to an age that I took a short break (around 50 and still riding like a crazy man). Then, came back looking for a new bike. Was looking hard at a smaller Duke, but didnít fall in love. The extreme power of this bike, with acceptable handling made me happier. More looking to get out for an hour, feel what only a motorcycle (or extreme super car) can bring, then chill out. What brought you to this bike?

Also, there are a lot of comparisons to the SD and V4, but I am wondering if the issue is more about what the person wants than the bike.

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Re: What kinds of riders here...
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:46 AM
For me I wanted the reliability that I expect from Kawasaki. I like the whole package, the engine, the livery, the electronics package, the newness (had last bike for 16 years). I love riding, I commute on it, I go for quick runs in the mountains, I would go for descent trips (day stuff, not overnight big miles). I just love riding. The feel of intense acceleration, hugging curves, but also just chilling and cuddling and watching a movie, errr, no that's my girl.

But really, the supercharger brought me to the table, the rest of the package sold me. I am not a canyon carving, track superstar, I'd say more spirited riding, {mostly} within the law. The reason the supercharger is cool to me, 1st in a production bike; if I control my right hand all is good, but if I want to get on it, it is all there for the taking. I have never wanted a bike that feels like it is already maxed out, like I did on a couple of Ducati's (I know they have more to offer, but still). I also don't want to waste time with the bike in for service.

At my age, I don't need a super sport, I realize that I like the speed of a super sport still, but I like that the Z H2 makes its power down lower, where I am most of the time (like 95%). Plus, it is far more comfortable than a super sport. I think you can try and compare any bike to another, but the reality is we all like what we like. This one is good for this and that one good for that. I can only have one bike, and I don't do off road stuff, so get a comfortable bike that can go fast, but also can be just as happy scooting around town = recipe for very happy rider.

Again, reliability is most important. I could have gotten a different bike, maybe even spent less, but I want to ride it, not pay to figure out why I can't ride it. So, I never considered the Ducati or the KTM (I know they are getting better, but I didn't want to chance it). I do think the Ducati's are beautiful bikes, incredible machines, but too many issues in past. KTM (correct me, I think it is "Keep the Money" coming) also seems like it's an angry bike, it has much to prove, it is fast and nimble, but the engine makes me think it is one more rev away from just blowing up.

No other manufacturer offers what Kawasaki has brought to the table, a bike that can be perfectly docile and manageable or completely mental in any given moment.

Ride what you love and love what you ride.

Offline ByePolarbear

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2
  • Town / City: Clackmannan
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:49:41 PM
Ok, Iím probably going to get some rap here from some people on the forum for saying this but I jumped straight from a 125cc onto the ZH2 - yes I know, it was a giant leap!! Reason being (apart from that I worked hard and saved up all the pennies to buy outright) - whilst it is insanely powerful, it is also very grown up, smooth and packed with safety technology.
Whilst I was initially surprised about its power, as of course I wasnít used to that on the 125 - I donít in any way feel intimidated or out of control with it.
Iíve only been riding for a few years. Thereís  a spark of controversy for some of you hardened veterans out there.
Truth is though, Iím sure you can all honestly say that itís a docile beast and if ridden with an ounce of maturity - itís happy days!
Home in time for dinner....
I am loving it and donít regret my decision at all. For those of you who think Iím daft - we all have something in us that craves a supercharger chirp, clearly the right choice...
Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:50:40 PM by ByePolarbear
ďIf in doubt - flat out!Ē

Online dunno

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 ZH2
  • Town / City: Irvine
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:49:05 AM
Long time cruiser rider, switched to an adv bike, a Kim 1290 sas, and fell in love with the power... but not the stability issues that come with triple digit speeds and 9Ē of suspension travel... yeah that day was painful. Donít want to contort onto a supersport so looked at the nakeds out there. Actually was deciding between the Z, the v4, and the super duke. Didnít want the cost of the Ducati, and as much as I loved my 1290 before it highsided my ass at well into those triple digits I was fed up with Ktm dealer support, the the Z it was... and I absolutely love the Z! If I could get 160 miles out of a tank it would be damn near perfect
"That bike has too much power"... said no one ever

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Murrieta
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 12:00:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Sikeonbike [+]

Also, there are a lot of comparisons to the SD and V4, but I am wondering if the issue is more about what the person wants than the bike.

I've ridden my wifes Streetfighter V4 and SDR. The experience between the two are quite different as they are with the ZH2. About all they have in common is the mega HP total. The way it's delivered varies greatly.

I bought the ZH2 for its looks.

Offline Sikeonbike

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Seattleish
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 06:23:42 PM
*Originally Posted by wallycycle [+]
I've ridden my wifes Streetfighter V4 and SDR. The experience between the two are quite different as they are with the ZH2. About all they have in common is the mega HP total. The way it's delivered varies greatly.

I bought the ZH2 for its looks.

Now there are 2 or 3 of us that like the looks.

Offline TSloper

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z H2 SE
  • Town / City: Sorrento, FL
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:38:56 AM
I started riding a year ago. Started with the Versys 1000. I now have an Indian Challenger and the Z H2 SE. It was down to the SF V4 and Z H2 SE. Zero knocks on the V4 but the Z H2 just seemed like the better street machine to me. I have no regrets.

As for how long youíve been ridingÖ itís going to vary by the individual. Some have years under their belt but canít handle a U turn proficiently. I spent my first few months working on the technicals aspects of riding every time I went out. I still make a conscious effort to improve my skills almost every time Iím out. Would I have wanted the Z H2 a year ago? Nope. But now itís becoming 2nd nature to ride. I couldnít have envisioned wanting more power when I first got it but nowÖ yup another 30-40 HP would be fine by me.

*Originally Posted by ByePolarbear [+]
Ok, Iím probably going to get some rap here from some people on the forum for saying this but I jumped straight from a 125cc onto the ZH2 - yes I know, it was a giant leap!! Reason being (apart from that I worked hard and saved up all the pennies to buy outright) - whilst it is insanely powerful, it is also very grown up, smooth and packed with safety technology.
Whilst I was initially surprised about its power, as of course I wasnít used to that on the 125 - I donít in any way feel intimidated or out of control with it.
Iíve only been riding for a few years. Thereís  a spark of controversy for some of you hardened veterans out there.
Truth is though, Iím sure you can all honestly say that itís a docile beast and if ridden with an ounce of maturity - itís happy days!
Home in time for dinner....
I am loving it and donít regret my decision at all. For those of you who think Iím daft - we all have something in us that craves a supercharger chirp, clearly the right choice...
Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:43:05 AM by TSloper

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Murrieta
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 03:17:13 AM
*Originally Posted by icancin2u2 [+]
KTM (correct me, I think it is "Keep the Money" coming) also seems like it's an angry bike, it has much to prove, it is fast and nimble, but the engine makes me think it is one more rev away from just blowing up.

22,300 miles on my '14 1290 SDR, 32,000 miles on my 1190, wife's SDR has 18,600 and now 6,200 miles on my Duke 890R. Only issue with all these Katooms has been a leaky countershaft seal on the 890. And the icing is the valves have never gone out of spec. I'd say that KTM has the reliability issue sorted. But of course all the above bikes could be the exception?

Online dunno

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: 2020 ZH2
  • Town / City: Irvine
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 04:12:54 AM
*Originally Posted by wallycycle [+]
22,300 miles on my '14 1290 SDR, 32,000 miles on my 1190, wife's SDR has 18,600 and now 6,200 miles on my Duke 890R. Only issue with all these Katooms has been a leaky countershaft seal on the 890. And the icing is the valves have never gone out of spec. I'd say that KTM has the reliability issue sorted. But of course all the above bikes could be the exception?
I had 15k absolute trouble free miles on my 1290 sas, the lc8 motor is an absolute gem in my book. Ktm has a bad rap, mostly driven I think by past issues and a still pretty crappy dealer network, but I agree mechanically I think theyíre damn good these days
"That bike has too much power"... said no one ever

Offline JD

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: ZH2 CRF KXF YZF XRM
  • Town / City: Dallas TX
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 04:11:59 PM
I don't like the origami styling of the kTm or the orange for that matter. The Ducati street looks nice, but at over 20k I'll pass.
Actually I wasn't even bike shopping. I already had the bike I wanted-  '14 Z1OOO
I came across this one at random surf and fell in love with the looks, so that's one more for the style, but I have to say if it wasn't for the SC I would still be on my old Z. I'm so glad I decided to pull the trigger on it because where this bike lives is where I ride it... cruising at 60mph at 5-6k and whack the throttle open to 100+ just thrills like my old Z never did.
Life is short.. better ride fast

chaos