Author Topic: Engine oil type  (Read 984 times)

Offline Jimbo

• ZH2 Member
Engine oil type
on: June 06, 2021, 07:17:09 AM
Just wondered what oil is working best in this engine. Cant find any credible info online.
After first service dealer used Motul 7100 oil , and i'm finding the gear changes little bit notchy, especially on the downshifts. Plus i feel a kind of coarseness in the motor at higher revs, not vibration just a coarseness which i'm sure was not present before first service. I really think the oil is too watery, took some out as it was a bit full and it feels not as oily as i would like.
Was thinking to use V300 Motul also fully synthetic , anyone got any experience with that oil type or maybe Castrol Power 1 racing which is 10W50 but within spec as per manual.
Otherwise it's an awesome machine, just like it to be bit smoother !!

Thanks J.

Offline TunaNoCrust

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: Zh2, 2018 Grom
  • Town / City: NoVa
Re: Engine oil type
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 03:11:16 AM
10w-40 Kawasaki full synthetic. 4300 miles and 3 oil changes so far. I think oem oil is fine. Shifts fine never had a problem with quick shifting as long your up in the revs and use it correctly. Motor is a little noisy on cold start ups for about 10 seconds until it gets oil pressure but I think itís the nature of the beast. Iíve always used motul 7100 in my other bikes but they were only worth 3-4K. Motul 300 needs to be changed more regularly as itís a racing oil.

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 03:11:02 PM
Same Kawasaki full synthetic. No problems and cheaper and easier to order from Amazon. Shipped to front door, do the oil change, done and done! Just over 7k on mine and about to do 4th change. No issues, just need to remember not to overfill it and I change the washer and the bolt send still use the stock filter.

Offline Jimbo

• ZH2 Member
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 05:31:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Unfortunately Kawasaki OEM oil isn't available here in Sweden and Motul seems to be the oil Kawa dealers use here.
I changed out oil for Motul 300V and new filter. That oil is also green, maybe it is same as Kawasaki oil , just without there brand name on it !!
Went for ride to check it out and it does seem to be smoother. Gearchanges were less notchy and it generally was going well. I don't ride huge distances so no worries with having to change after 3000 miles or whatever.
The Motul 7100 that came out was still ok but it feels very watery. Can recommend the 300V , seems like quality oil.

Offline jmathews

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2 (Black)
  • Town / City: Indianapolis
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 08:34:57 AM
Are oil changes on the ZH2 as simple as any other bike?  I mean, take the plug out, (is there a washer?), unscrew the old filter (do I need a filter tool? is there a filter oring? Do new ZH2 filters come with orings?) , put the plug back in with washer, torque, put on a new filter, fill her up, set, check again, start bike, let idle, turn off for 3 minutes, check again, that's it?

Offline jmathews

• ZH2 Member
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:43:29 AM
Well, I was at 1,000 miles and didn't want to park the bike for another month before I could see the dealer, so I just did my first oil change on the ZH2. Pretty easy.  Just need an 80mm oil filter socket and an 8mm socket for the oil plug.  I can tell you 4.0 quarts MIGHT be enough to get you over the LOW line, if you keep the old filter in place.  But 4.0 quarts isn't enough when you change the filter, and 4.5quarts with a filter change puts it RIGHT at the full line... almost too much.  So I think 4.25 quarts is perfect. But be prepared to have more than 1 gallon.  I used Suzuki R9000 Full Synthetic SL/MA2.  Torque specs on the Bolt are 17ft-lb and the filter is 13ft-lb.  I re-used the oil plug washer because it looked good (no grooving or pitting).  Put in 4 quarts, warm it up, shut it down, and put in the last 1/4th - 1/2 quart.  And you should be Good to go.  Dealer Mechanic told me the other 1st 600-mile service items are all pretty simple.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: Z900 & ZH2
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 02:18:31 PM
Not sure if you can get this or not but I always relied on Penrite MC-4 10W40 100% Pao Ester Synthetic oil and I buy it in 20L drum as I service mine every 3000kms. Tried others and had gearing issues but not with this...

I also calibrate my fill with 3.9L and 4.2L with oil filter change as it keeps the level about half way in the inspection window, its the best oil I found to work best...

Offline jmathews

• ZH2 Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 03:11:50 PM
I used Suzuki R9000 which is Full Synthetic SL-MA2 because I had it on hand for my other bike.  It definitely feels "Thicker" that what they had in from the factory... gear shifts are "softer"/"Smoother", not so "sharp" and "hard/crisp".  I'll try Kawasaki full synthetic next time and see if it feels any different.

Offline TSloper

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z H2 SE
  • Town / City: Sorrento, FL
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 09:00:36 PM
Motul 7100 10W-40

As for feel... I suspect the engineers and your "feelings" would be at odds as to what is best for a rotating assembly at 12500 RPM and the clearances they defined. Why do people think they know better than the engineers who designed this machine? V300 is a great oil but is not intended for long duration intervals. Again... stop second guessing the engineers.

*Originally Posted by Jimbo [+]
Just wondered what oil is working best in this engine. Cant find any credible info online.
After first service dealer used Motul 7100 oil , and i'm finding the gear changes little bit notchy, especially on the downshifts. Plus i feel a kind of coarseness in the motor at higher revs, not vibration just a coarseness which i'm sure was not present before first service. I really think the oil is too watery, took some out as it was a bit full and it feels not as oily as i would like.
Was thinking to use V300 Motul also fully synthetic , anyone got any experience with that oil type or maybe Castrol Power 1 racing which is 10W50 but within spec as per manual.
Otherwise it's an awesome machine, just like it to be bit smoother !!

Thanks J.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: Z900 & ZH2
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:18:26 PM
*Originally Posted by TSloper [+]
Motul 7100 10W-40

As for feel... I suspect the engineers and your "feelings" would be at odds as to what is best for a rotating assembly at 12500 RPM and the clearances they defined. Why do people think they know better than the engineers who designed this machine? V300 is a great oil but is not intended for long duration intervals. Again... stop second guessing the engineers.

Just cos they're engineers does not make other available options less viable...Manufacturers including engineers will always seek to cut costs and maximize profits so while it is a known fact that oils aint oils other options are at times better than the original, its not about second guessing but more about what works best for the user...

I never used oils recommended by manufacturers in any of my cars or bikes, as at times these are propriatary oils and offer basic minimum protection and not necessarily the best available option out there, that's why thanks to aftermarket products we have a multitude of choice...As an aircraft engineer in the Air Force, I know not all fuel producers can be trusted nor oil producers, sometimes a few extra dollars poured into quality do pay off in the long run...

chaos