Author Topic: 42T Rear Sprocket  (Read 1650 times)

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Re: 42T Rear Sprocket
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Philthy [+]
Can someone who knows stuff about gearing explain to me the advantage of the 18/46 gearing over say 16/41 that has the same ratio?

I remember reading that when racing teams settle into the best ratios for the final drive they are more likely to change the gearing in the transmission. The only problem I see with going down to a 16 up front would be if the diameter is too small for the chain. But if it fits and doesn't bind, than you get a little weight savings. Then again, would smaller gears survive the power that this bike produces? Yes, there are a lot of questions.

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:43 AM
Oh, check gearing commander .com, fabulous resource for some of your questions.

Offline Philthy

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Lost in transit
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:47:51 PM
*Originally Posted by icancin2u2 [+]
I remember reading that when racing teams settle into the best ratios for the final drive they are more likely to change the gearing in the transmission. The only problem I see with going down to a 16 up front would be if the diameter is too small for the chain. But if it fits and doesn't bind, than you get a little weight savings. Then again, would smaller gears survive the power that this bike produces? Yes, there are a lot of questions.

The reason I ask is my old 98 model ZX-9R had a final drive ratio of 16/41, I m just wondering why they have gone with this gearing which, according to a drive ratio chart, delivers the exact same final drive ratio as 16/41, and was hoping someone could explain the benefits of it.

I am happy with the OE gearing and, for my intended use, have no need to change. I enjoy the explosive acceleration and can live with the amount or revs when cruising at hwy speeds.
Phil
2021 Z H2
2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro KRT

Offline Tamzed1

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Glasgow EPW
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 11:34:08 PM
I've got the h2 swing arm fitted and run a 44 rear sprocket 4th gear is my favourite gear 😁, the swing arm came with a 41 which I felt would b no good so I bought the 44 couldn't get a 46 at the time, anyway I've kept the 41 as when the flash available the 41 might b the one 🤷‍♂️

chaos