Author Topic: Do-it-yourself 1st 600 mile service - Rookie mechanic  (Read 523 times)

Online jmathews

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2 (Black)
  • Town / City: Indianapolis
Hi ZH2 guys, just need an experienced ZH2 owner second/3rd opinion...

I'm semi-handy.... been doing my own dual sport maintenance and car oil changes for several years....nothing major, just oil, filters, brake pads, chain and adjustments, lube/grease, rotors, tires, etc...

my question is, do you think there's any reason a guy like me should take in my new ZH2 for the 600mi breakin service?   I can do the oil change and check all the items EXCEPT I'm wondering what I need to do for these 3 items:

- Check Coolant System
- Check Fuel System
- Check steering play

Those are the only 3 items on the 1st 600mi service that I'm not sure what all to do.  My coolant is near the LOW line, like everybody else....
My dealership can't see me for 3 more weeks and I'm already at 1,050mi and I don't want to ride it anymore without do the first oil change.  I have the oil, filter, and tools to do everything myself...

Should I just do it, or wait and take it to the mechanic for $200?  If I can figure out these 3 items above, I might as well do it myself this weekend and keep riding, right? :)

Thanks!

Online jmathews

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2 (Black)
  • Town / City: Indianapolis
Re: Do-it-yourself 1st 600 mile service - Rookie mechanic
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 06:29:39 PM
I called the Dealer mechanic, a good 30-year guy who trains the others, and he told me, there's nothing super-high tech about the first service....basic oil change, chain tension, and visual inspections of lines, breaks, as simple as it gets.

Just remember all the best practices like using the right torque specks on the Oil Plug and filter, use a new washer, don't leave on the old filter oring, etc...  all the other items are just inspections, unless you really need coolant, which only requires a panel come off and a cap undone...

"Keep all your receipts, if you show good evidence it was done and done correctly, it won't void the warranty."

So in the spirit of American Independence day, I'll just do it myself.

Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:30:41 PM by jmathews

Offline JasonKing

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Runcorn
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:33:34 PM
There is also an extensive electrical checklist to run through and the blower impeller clearance to check.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: Z900 & ZH2
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:10:39 AM
Personaly prefer 1st service always by dealer after that no reason to go back unless its complex...

This insures anything goes wrong initialy is taken care of without pointing the finger, not sure elsewhere but in the land down under tgey snap photos of the bike at each service and my reasoning behind this is that if anything goes wrong if aftermarket parts are installed they can blame you for it!...