Author Topic: Quick Shifter  (Read 2068 times)

Offline stanger1

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Kawasaki ZH2 SE
  • Town / City: kc
Quick Shifter
on: August 06, 2021, 02:50:43 PM
I still can't believe how good Kawasaki nailed the QS on the 2021 Z H2 SE
I have had a few bikes with QS and they were no where as good as this one.
 Last bike was a 2021 Yamaha R1 and it's QS was no where as good and smooth as the Kaw.
I mean, Wow!

Offline Jamied

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: North Jersey
Re: Quick Shifter
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:53:18 PM
Yes, I love rowing thru the gears. They did a nice job, almost as good as a BMW.....impressive, well done, Kawasaki engineers.

Offline Stainedsheet

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2
  • Town / City: Spring Hill
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 09:11:50 PM
I also have to say the QS is a blast. Being my first QS I was going into it sceptical but man did Kawasaki make me a believer. Getting spoiled!!!

Online ZEEEE_H2

• ZH2 Member
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:09:45 AM
Seems like I'm the only person who got their QS system built on a Friday after lunch. After having ridden the new streetfighter v4s and mt09 sp, my suspicions were correct. My QS feels clunky/harsh and sluggish. I've tried all variations of shifting and it still happens, even after switching from Kawi oil to Mobil 1. Any tips?

Offline Philthy

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Lost in transit
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 10:23:04 AM
*Originally Posted by ZEEEE_H2 [+]
Seems like I'm the only person who got their QS system built on a Friday after lunch. After having ridden the new streetfighter v4s and mt09 sp, my suspicions were correct. My QS feels clunky/harsh and sluggish. I've tried all variations of shifting and it still happens, even after switching from Kawi oil to Mobil 1. Any tips?

Check chain tension, if it is off it can not feel as good as it should.
Phil
2021 Z H2
2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro KRT

Offline TSloper

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z H2 SE
  • Town / City: Sorrento, FL
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:01:30 PM
How is it in the upper RPM range? Low RPM/light throttle QS is a bit clunky but no issues in the mid to upper range. The shifts are instant. Definitely check the chain slack.

Online ZEEEE_H2

• ZH2 Member
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 05:11:10 AM
So after 2 chain slack mentions and some research I took a 2nd look at it. The chain slack was within spec (28mm), but I decided to tighten it more (22mm) and it did something. The clunky upshifts are mostly gone. Unfortunately downshifts still have an odd feeling (even above 6K RPMs) but definitely better. Thanks fellas!  :763:

Offline Philthy

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Lost in transit
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:13:08 AM
*Originally Posted by ZEEEE_H2 [+]
Unfortunately downshifts still have an odd feeling (even above 6K RPMs) but definitely better. Thanks fellas!  :763:

Sorry if it is a silly question, but you are completely closing the throttle before you change down aren't you? Because if you aren't, that could cause the issue.
Phil
2021 Z H2
2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro KRT

Online ZEEEE_H2

• ZH2 Member
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 06:01:39 AM
*Originally Posted by Philthy [+]
Sorry if it is a silly question, but you are completely closing the throttle before you change down aren't you? Because if you aren't, that could cause the issue.

Yes, sir. I'll just keep playing with chain tension and oil brands. Hopefully the Brock's springs help with clutch feel during stop and go traffic.

Offline Ivar

• ZH2 Junior Member
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 10:29:28 PM
Also, worth mentioning that the QS does not require a lot of force. Some YT reviews say it's not "crisp enough" or how one should put it - I think it's just fine and I've never had QS on a bike before. One tip trough - don't go too soft on it, operate the pedal thoroughly... this is not a tuned 1 oz trigger on a rifle, it need clearly defined "kicks".