Author Topic: Tyre Time  (Read 714 times)

Offline S1000R

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Scotland
Tyre Time
on: August 17, 2021, 10:03:10 PM
So only running my Z H2 in with my Rosso 3s, and I know they will be getting swapped out soon.  I asked on the facebook page how people found them, and the opinion was they where a decent tyre.  I firmly believe on dry normal temp roads they are a great tyre.

It rains a lot in Scotland, which means damp greasy roads at times, and I found this out today.  Couple of slides on acceleration, so I won't be keeping these on much longer, as I don't have much trust in them from the outset.  Had this issue on one of my S1000Rs.  Put Roadtec 01s on, as they had been recommended, and it was the only tyre on the S1000R that nearly caused an accident, a nasty one as well due to a huge slide on a damp road.

So recommendations on tyres please for our bike.  I am at the moment leaning to Pilot Road 5s.  I had them on the 1000SX Ninja and was a very good all rounder.

Offline Big_Zed

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2
  • Town / City: Sydney
Re: Tyre Time
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:33:41 PM
Hi S1000R,

The Metzler Sportec M9RR's are great all round tyre.
The coldest I ride them at in winter is around -1 or -2 and found them to be good. Wet traction is also good but I suspect you may need to deal with more moss and stuff on the roads than I do in my neck of the woods here in Australia.
2021 ZH2
2017 Ninja 1000 ABS
1997 YZF 1000 - ThunderAce
1996 YZF600 - ThunderCat
1983 RZ 250

Offline S1000R

• ZH2 Junior Member
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:47:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Big_Zed [+]
Hi S1000R,

The Metzler Sportec M9RR's are great all round tyre.
The coldest I ride them at in winter is around -1 or -2 and found them to be good. Wet traction is also good but I suspect you may need to deal with more moss and stuff on the roads than I do in my neck of the woods here in Australia.

Thanks for the response. Just reading up on the M9RRs at the moment, they certainly get decent reviews.  Scottish roads are poor at best, unless you ride in the dry all the time, which if the case, I wouldn't be out much, as it's always raining.  I reckon any of the Pirelli recommended for our bikes would fit the bill, or the ones you mentioned. 

Offline Tamzed1

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Glasgow EPW
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 12:00:44 PM
I'm also from central Scotland and the last 2 summers have been awesome, bought the ZH2 in may 2020 and almost at 12k mls I'd say 95% dry 🤷, anyway had pr5s on my last Z1000 loved them great in the wet, but couldn't get them when changing the ZH2 tyres so I've had 2 sets of 01se and they were great from the 1st ml, I'm now on m9rr which I fitted as I was doing a track night and they have been awesome got a 53 lean angle on the track which I'm no where near on the rd 😃, I was caught out in a thunderstorm the other week and they performed great, I mean the rd was like a river and I was still able to safely overtake an artic lorry, I don't mind the rain but I'm not trying to find the limit of the tyre in the wet, nice n smooth but still reasonably fast in the wet, always full power and traction 1 wet or dry 👍, where u from, I'm just outside Glasgow, I no there's 6or7 ZH2 in Scotland but I've never met another on the rd, except my mates 1 😂

Offline S1000R

• ZH2 Junior Member
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 10:02:23 AM
*Originally Posted by Tamzed1 [+]
I'm also from central Scotland and the last 2 summers have been awesome, bought the ZH2 in may 2020 and almost at 12k mls I'd say 95% dry 🤷, anyway had pr5s on my last Z1000 loved them great in the wet, but couldn't get them when changing the ZH2 tyres so I've had 2 sets of 01se and they were great from the 1st ml, I'm now on m9rr which I fitted as I was doing a track night and they have been awesome got a 53 lean angle on the track which I'm no where near on the rd 😃, I was caught out in a thunderstorm the other week and they performed great, I mean the rd was like a river and I was still able to safely overtake an artic lorry, I don't mind the rain but I'm not trying to find the limit of the tyre in the wet, nice n smooth but still reasonably fast in the wet, always full power and traction 1 wet or dry 👍, where u from, I'm just outside Glasgow, I no there's 6or7 ZH2 in Scotland but I've never met another on the rd, except my mates 1 😂

Hello Tam,

Thanks for the response. I see the 9RRs popping up regular, so might be settling on them.

I am down in the Gow mate.  Bikes in AMR at the moment getting its 600 mile service. 

Let me know when ur around if you fancy a run at some point.

Offline MTMerciless

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Scarfolk-on-Sea
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 09:15:42 AM
Pilot Road 5's fitted here.  Much nicer for commuting on wet greasy cold Sussex roads than the Pirelli's.  Not sure how they behave at the sportier end of the spectrum but I like them for my riding.

Offline Tamzed1

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Glasgow EPW
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 12:21:07 PM
*Originally Posted by S1000R [+]

Hello Tam,

Thanks for the response. I see the 9RRs popping up regular, so might be settling on them.

I am down in the Gow mate.  Bikes in AMR at the moment getting its 600 mile service. 

Let me know when ur around if you fancy a run at some point.
look me up on Facebook tam Rutherford.

Offline S1000R

• ZH2 Junior Member
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 08:56:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Tamzed1 [+]
look me up on Facebook tam Rutherford.

Will do. 

Offline S1000R

• ZH2 Junior Member
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 08:58:39 PM
*Originally Posted by MTMerciless [+]
Pilot Road 5's fitted here.  Much nicer for commuting on wet greasy cold Sussex roads than the Pirelli's.  Not sure how they behave at the sportier end of the spectrum but I like them for my riding.

Thats my main concern with these, when pushing on with this bike and the power it has, how do they behave.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: ZH2
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 11:10:29 PM
Ive had the michelin pilot road 5 and swear by them over the rosso...my next swap from originals will be the road 5s...

chaos