Author Topic: Help taking air intake off  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ZMAX

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 zh2
Help taking air intake off
on: October 10, 2021, 05:17:26 AM
Iím seeing if thereís an easy way to take the ram intake tube off. I have emptied out the little oil over flow bottle and drained oil between the fill marks but, still continue to see oil dripping from my intake. I was trying to take off the intake tube and clean excess oil out and see if it will stop leaking. The oil leak is driving me crazy. I feel like a Harley is parked in my garage jk  :138:

Offline Peter

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Australia
Re: Help taking air intake off
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:15:13 AM
Stick a little oil separating catch can in the line. Stops the worry of any oil getting sucked in there then. It's not the best design how they have it for me.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: ZH2
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:26:34 AM
*Originally Posted by ZMAX [+]
Iím seeing if thereís an easy way to take the ram intake tube off. I have emptied out the little oil over flow bottle and drained oil between the fill marks but, still continue to see oil dripping from my intake. I was trying to take off the intake tube and clean excess oil out and see if it will stop leaking. The oil leak is driving me crazy. I feel like a Harley is parked in my garage jk  :138:

hey mate,

the oil is coming from the crankcase breather which feeds straight into the airbox, unfortunately not ideal due to the proximity...As Peter suggested stick a catch can (check out my thread on the subject), easy to do and you will never see any oil in your intake again and your zh2 will not get asthma...

As for taking the intake off, apart from the obvious visible screws, there are 2 screws at the back of the front of the intake, you will not be able to just take the front off with visible screws, you need to take the whole assembly off...They should have clipped the front rather than use screws then we would have been able to take just the front of the intake off...

Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:30:22 AM by Traph

Offline ZMAX

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 zh2
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 06:57:38 AM
Thanks guys, and Traph I will check that out

Offline ZEEEE_H2

• ZH2 Member
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:40 PM
So does this only happen if the oil is overfilled or is it a design flaw? Also what tubing size did you guys used or was it a pre made kit? Many thanks!

Offline TSloper

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: 2021 Z H2 SE
  • Town / City: Sorrento, FL
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 09:34:06 PM
In 3700 miles I havenít had a hint of oil residue in the intake or any oil in the catch.

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Pro
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 09:52:31 PM
*Originally Posted by ZEEEE_H2 [+]
So does this only happen if the oil is overfilled or is it a design flaw? Also what tubing size did you guys used or was it a pre made kit? Many thanks!

From my experience the drips are there regardless of the fill, if you run your finger under the intake joint closest to the supercharger you may find it...I changed the paper gasket to an o'ring which sealed it, however using the catch can made the difference...

As for hose size it depends on the catch can fittings you get...

Offline ZEEEE_H2

• ZH2 Member
Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 10:49:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Traph [+]
From my experience the drips are there regardless of the fill, if you run your finger under the intake joint closest to the supercharger you may find it...I changed the paper gasket to an o'ring which sealed it, however using the catch can made the difference...

As for hose size it depends on the catch can fittings you get...

I figured I asked since I'm having this issue and have checked my oil level an insane amount of times to verify it's not user error. Brought it up to the dealer but I don't have much hope with that route. The catch method is smart but I really don't like the look.

Offline dylanzh2

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Dallas
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 07:56:50 PM
FYI i've noticed after replacing the gasket in the intake that there is not adequate pressure on the gasket which causes a leak at the lowest point. i'm trying to figure out a non-invasive way of fixing this so I don't void any warranty or have to buy more parts. I'm leaning towards just drilling a hole, or selling the bike for a new zx10... I love the bike, but this should not be a thing on a ~20k bike.

did you get yours fixed?

Offline Traph

• ZH2 Pro
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 10:48:17 PM
*Originally Posted by dylanzh2 [+]
FYI i've noticed after replacing the gasket in the intake that there is not adequate pressure on the gasket which causes a leak at the lowest point. i'm trying to figure out a non-invasive way of fixing this so I don't void any warranty or have to buy more parts. I'm leaning towards just drilling a hole, or selling the bike for a new zx10... I love the bike, but this should not be a thing on a ~20k bike.

did you get yours fixed?

I personaly would not be drilling a hole in the airbox...You would suck up air, dirt and all sorts of things into it...

Since modifying the gasket and adding a catch can the problem no longer exists...Here is the link to the mod if you wish to have a look...

https://www.zh2forum.com/index.php/topic,587.0.html