Author Topic: Zx10r Slip On - tune needed?  (Read 420 times)

Offline TooMuchPah

• ZH2 Junior Member
Zx10r Slip On - tune needed?
on: October 22, 2021, 02:55:54 PM
Hey folks,

Bought one of those unused Zx-10r exhausts off eBay, made a hanger, and it sounds great.

After my first ride, the exhaust smoked initially which made me nervous that something went wrong, but turned out to be contained to the muffler itself, and was some kind of typical factory burn-off of oils/coatings used in production. If youíre getting this exhaust from the seller in NY that others have mentioned, apparently you are getting a never-run brand new pipe.

My question is in regards to a tune, it feels like it has actually lost a bit of torque midrange, but the top end is so wild itís hard to judge in general. Iím considering swapping back to stock just to compare, but wanted to see what everyoneís thoughts are.

Given the cat stays on, I could see not needing a tune. However, considering itís a straight-through pipe, I could also see this changing flow at different speeds enough to want to match this with a tune.

On the other hand, and I know this could get me banned, but this bike doesnít need any more power, does it?

Thoughts appreciated.
Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:57:09 PM by TooMuchPah

Offline RLYSLO

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 ZH2
  • Town / City: Buffalo
Re: Zx10r Slip On - tune needed?
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 06:17:13 PM
You wonít need a flash with the slip on. I have had a ZX10R can on my Z since 1100mi. Bike sounds 1000x better than stock.

Iíve recently flashed BTMOTO stage 1 and holy lord is it FAST now

Offline KwackerZH2

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: ZH2
  • Town / City: Teesside
Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:35:37 PM
Fitted my ZX10 pipe recently and I noticed it smoking after ride so it must be common with an unused pipe I think it sounds OK !!! Great upgrade for the money  :062:

Offline Peter

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Australia
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:57:03 AM
*Originally Posted by TooMuchPah [+]
Given the cat stays on, I could see not needing a tune. However, considering itís a straight-through pipe, I could also see this changing flow at different speeds enough to want to match this with a tune.

Yes, one cat stays on in the headers but the stock muffler contains another cat in the lead pipe on it. They blow through two cats for Euro 5 emissions, so the straight through ZX10 muffler would of changed the fueling and there is a chance you could of lost mid range without a tune to suit yes.
Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:58:48 AM by Peter

Offline 85ELR20ZH2

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: England
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 07:28:55 AM
I fitted one of these this week. Off eBay for £70. Quite straightforward once you have made the bracket ( many thanks to KwackerZH2 for their advice here ). Mine smoked when I started it up, which apparently confirms it was new. Had my first service yesterday and was chatting about it - the service manager said I should have spoken to him as he has loads of new ones in the store that I could have had!

It is straight through, the difference in the noise and the ďgasĒ coming out is pretty noticeable, it sounds like the Kerker on my Z1100R! Itís not offensively loud though when prowling round town.

The weight difference is absolutely incredible.