Author Topic: Installation heated grips, DC output and helmet lock  (Read 1541 times)

Offline mikkoyli

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: H2, H2 SX SE, Z H2
  • Town / City: Tornio
I installed Kawasaki OEM parts. Quite easy as the instructions that came in the packages were so good. Lot of dismantling parts of course so it took couple of hours. All was plug and play. These should come stock from the factory or at least as a package. Helmet lock caused most problems as I needed to grind the lock in order to have it locked to cylinder. I did the same for my H2 SX without problems so I suspect this part was not exactly as it should have been.
Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:45:57 PM by mikkoyli
H2 2015, H2 SX SE 2018, Z H2 2020

Offline RebelZ

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Town / City: Houston
Re: Installation heated grips, DC output and helmet lock
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:01:07 PM
I installed the lock with no problems. Should have come with a bag of different size tumblers to be able to match it to your key.

Offline mikkoyli

• ZH2 Member
  • Bike: H2, H2 SX SE, Z H2
  • Town / City: Tornio
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:36:40 PM
Yes it did but didnít go to the bottom and to the groove.
H2 2015, H2 SX SE 2018, Z H2 2020

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Bike: Z H2
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 03:18:59 AM
Very cool. Looking forward to your review of the grips, I think that is something I'll get done this winter.

Offline Daisy

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: waurn ponds
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 12:43:46 AM
I gave my heated grips a good workout last weekend. I rode for about 550 kms. The temperature on the dash of the bike went as low as 1 degree up to a high of 15 degrees. Had them on high most of the day due to the wind chill. They worked great. Definitely worth installing. 

Offline Dariusz82

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Sandgerdi
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 11:17:28 AM
Hello are you use any glue for grips?

Offline Ouweman

• ZH2 Junior Member
  • Bike: ZH2 and ZX10R 2016
  • Town / City: Roosendaal
Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:50:45 PM
a few drops of second glue

Offline wallycycle

• ZH2 Member
  • Town / City: Murrieta
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 04:03:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Dariusz82 [+]
Hello are you use any glue for grips?

May I suggest that on first install you use women's hair spray and let set overnight. Not as permanent as the super glue supplied with most heated grip kits. Makes things easier to remove if you subsequently need to take off your grips for whatever reason. After installing with hair spray, if the grips still move, one can always slide off the grip an inch or so and put a couple drops super glue on the bar/throttle sleeve and then rubber mallet them back into position. Regardless what you use, recommend using as little adhesive as possible. I learned the hard way years ago that putting too much on the inside of the grip and on the bar can lead to disaster. As you mallet the grips on into position, the excess adhesive squirts out the end towards the bike giving it a nice coating of crap in all sorts of unacceptable places, as on the instrument panel! 

Offline icancin2u2

• ZH2 Pro
  • Town / City: Milwaukie
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 12:43:20 PM
*Originally Posted by wallycycle [+]
May I suggest that on first install you use women's hair spray and let set overnight. Not as permanent as the super glue supplied with most heated grip kits. Makes things easier to remove if you subsequently need to take off your grips for whatever reason. After installing with hair spray, if the grips still move, one can always slide off the grip an inch or so and put a couple drops super glue on the bar/throttle sleeve and then rubber mallet them back into position. Regardless what you use, recommend using as little adhesive as possible. I learned the hard way years ago that putting too much on the inside of the grip and on the bar can lead to disaster. As you mallet the grips on into position, the excess adhesive squirts out the end towards the bike giving it a nice coating of crap in all sorts of unacceptable places, as on the instrument panel!

:005: :006: Sorry that was your experience. Ugh, I found the hair spray trick works well, then to dry quickly use a can of compressed air. Works well and removes the need to wait overnight, though I wouldn't go riding with them right away.

Online Jimbo

• ZH2 Member
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 08:55:00 AM
*Originally Posted by mikkoyli [+]
I installed Kawasaki OEM parts. Quite easy as the instructions that came in the packages were so good. Lot of dismantling parts of course so it took couple of hours. All was plug and play. These should come stock from the factory or at least as a package. Helmet lock caused most problems as I needed to grind the lock in order to have it locked to cylinder. I did the same for my H2 SX without problems so I suspect this part was not exactly as it should have been.
Hi Mikkoyli,
Is the installation of the DC outlet as involved as described in instructions. Need to remove so many panels etc, or is there an easier way to get to the connector. I got one but am put off mounting it as the install seems so complicated.