Author Spearfish Trip 2022 - Log  (Read 722 times)

• Offline Skuuskuu   us

• ZH2 Member  ‐    82
    • Topic Author

Offline Skuuskuu

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Weeee there I go.
    • Bike: ZH2, 2xR3R, D955i
    • Town / City: Olympia, WA
    Re: Spearfish Trip 2022 - Log
    Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 10:46:25 pm
    July 16, 2022, 10:46:25 pm

• Offline Skuuskuu   us

• ZH2 Member  ‐    82
    • Topic Author

Offline Skuuskuu

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Weeee there I go.
    • Bike: ZH2, 2xR3R, D955i
    • Town / City: Olympia, WA
    Re: Spearfish Trip 2022 - Log
    Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 11:12:53 pm
    July 16, 2022, 11:12:53 pm
    Final thoughts after completion of the trip, ~3040 miles total. I'm totally satisfied with the Z, love it. Dropping to 2nd at 70+ and ripping 2nd gear hangars while roll racing is tons of fun.

- Rear Shock works surprisingly well, but only when leaned over in a corner. Vertical, it sucks. It never started to really be functional until ~ double the posted speed on mountains/canyon roads, where it actually gives good feedback and feel.

- Had a few big heaves where the bike actually jumped off the top of them coming down the Grand Teton pass. No dramas, nice and smooth. Chassis is really good at supressing issues that upset many bikes.

- Rosso III are good, but will be swapping to Q3+s at ~ 5,000 miles I think. The Rossos don't give me the feel I want from the rear end.

- Altitude murders power. Was great getting back down below 1000ft elevation and having a wild animal of a bike again. The trade off....gas mileage improves at altitude.

- Z H2 is a small bike. I'm too big for it, will be making some changes. Somewhat surprised Kawi decided to pair the seath height with the small seat to bar reach distance.

- High speed weave while full tucked. Flex my back up while tucked to create a little drag and the weave stops.  Weird but full tuck starts weaving around 140, back flexed dead stable north of 160.

- KRTC 2 is crap. 3 is good on bad surfaces, 1 is good on good surfaces. 2 causes just enough lift so tire skips off pavement and induced a little head shake, 1 and 3 don't do this.

- Brakes: I flat out don't believe most people who say 4x32s are not enough brake for them on the street. They're strong, have good initial bite, and good feel. I think Kawi nailed it. Stylemas are entirely not needed on the street imho.

- Rolling burnouts with KRTC flashing is a lot of fun and shockingly smooth in the way traction is restored. Very confidence inspiring.

- Duck tape is the perfect fix for Blaze Bag contact point, just use 4 or 5 layers over the corner.

- I actually got a lot of compliments on how the Z H2 looks?! Kind of threw me because so many on the net dislike it, but w/e I guess hah.

- Did a 600 mile highway day followed by a 450 mile canyon day. Makes a great touring bike for those that can cope with the position and want a fun bike to play in canyons when arriving.

- Anything short of a full on sportbike struggles to corner as fast as the Z from what I saw. 2022 K1600GTL, 2022 Tiger 900 on Road 6s, Multistrada Alpine on Q3s. None were able to match the Z but the Ducati was closest, and was using the whole rear tire. I still have about 1/2" virgin rubber on each side, never needed to lean past 40 at our pace (though I do move my weight a lot when cornering).

chaos