Author Z H2 2022 Pulling to the right  (Read 3330 times)

• Offline coderhead   us

• ZH2 Member  ‐    43

Offline coderhead

• ZH2 Member
    • Midwest Rider
    • Bike: 2022 Z H2
    • Town / City: St. Louis, MO
    Re: Z H2 2022 Pulling to the right
    Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 02:55:53 pm
    August 09, 2022, 02:55:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Traph [+]
    I do not believe the exhaust has anything to do with this...
    Yeah, there's just no way the canister causes that much drag to one side of the bike. I went for a ride this morning and did another test. I was able to find a nice, wide, multi-lane road and hit the cruise control. I noticed that my left buttcheek had a little more seat underneath so I centered my tailbone on the pillion and let go of the bars. It's the road, not the bike. Because to the left of center on this road the bike just went straight as an arrow. When I pulled over to the right side it drifted.

It's not the bike, everyone. Unless your dealer mechanics put something together wrong before delivery...
    2022 Kawasaki Z H2
    2021 Honda Super Cub 125
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000

• Offline Nacra6   gb

• ZH2 Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Nacra6

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 03:34:43 pm
    August 09, 2022, 03:34:43 pm
    I also find it hard to accept that the exhaust can cause such a drift but some posts above mention that a lighter one makes a positive difference.

Its quite possible that different bikes have slight differences. I can tell you that I tried mine on various roads, speeds, lanes and location within lanes and the bike veers to the right no matter what I do. As for my riding position a big chunk of my body weight ahs to be on the left side of the bike for it to go straight.

I have now ordered this universal alignment tool suggested above: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225101854897

When I get back I will put it to good use. My hope is that the marks on the swing arm are slightly off in which case a proper mechanical alignment should do the trick. I will report in due course.

In the meantime I hope you all enjoy summer riding.

• Offline Sara   ca

• ZH2 Junior Member  ‐    5

Offline Sara

• ZH2 Junior Member
    • Bike: Z900, soon zh2 se
    • Town / City: Embrun
    Reply #32 on: August 16, 2022, 04:24:13 am
    August 16, 2022, 04:24:13 am
    I just got my 2022 zh2 se last week. So far at 600km. I notice while using cruise control it pulls slightly to the right. I read comments about the road crown so I'll test that tomorrow on my way to work.

Just gently putting a finger on the left handle bar while in cruise keeps it super straight.

I wonder if having more weight on the right suffer of the body (muscled right handed people can have more weight on their right side (arms and leg slightly bigger) along with the bread box of an exhaust adds up. I'm definitely not light at 205 lbs muscled. I know my body isn't symmetrical.

But I'll test riding on the left lane tomorrow morning.

• Offline Nacra6   gb

• ZH2 Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Nacra6

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #33 on: August 16, 2022, 07:56:08 am
    August 16, 2022, 07:56:08 am
    Congratulations Sarah and I hope you enjoy your new H2 as I do and thank you for your input.

Please let us know the results of your experiments.

One thing is clear to me, owners either report their H2 pulling to the right or going straight, I have not seen a single post complaining about pull to the left, that must tell us something....

Safe riding.

• Offline Sara   ca

• ZH2 Junior Member  ‐    5

Offline Sara

• ZH2 Junior Member
    • Bike: Z900, soon zh2 se
    • Town / City: Embrun
    Reply #34 on: August 17, 2022, 12:32:14 pm
    August 17, 2022, 12:32:14 pm
    After some testing with driving on the opposite side of the road it definitely feels a little bit better but it very very very slightly can pull to the right. It's not hard to control without hands though. Making it go straight is still pretty easy. I do notice my body maybe is putting a little bit of extra weight on the right hand side. My knee hangs more to the right than my left knee does to the left. That's cuz of the asymmetrical knee position beside the tank and engine. Saturday I have my 1,000 km service so I'll have them take a look at it but I may think everything is okay on it.

When I sit in the truck I have, I definitely didn't notice I slouched a little bit more to the right. That mixed in with my right knee hanging out a bit more because of the bump on the side of the engine / tank I think maybe the cause of it

• Offline Nacra6   gb

• ZH2 Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Nacra6

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #35 on: August 21, 2022, 03:09:46 pm
    August 21, 2022, 03:09:46 pm
    I finally got back from my summer holiday and decided to have another go at sorting out my Z H2 pulling to the right, sorry for longer post than usual and my poor craftsmanship with the images.

I purchased a new chain alignment tool as suggested above:

I decided to try and test this as accurately as possible. First I made sure that the bike was exactly perpendicular to my garage floor by using a spirit level:

Next step I photographed the axel location markings reference on the swing arm on both sides:

The position on the left hand side is dead in the middle between the 4th and 5th marks. I then checked the position on the right hand side:

This seems to me not in the middle between the 4th or 5th marks as the left. My hopes were on the rise at this point, thinking to myself that if I can align the markings on both sides to be identical the problem will be solved.

I then unscrewed the chain guard to make sure I have good visibility using the chain alignment tool. From what I can see the rear sprocket was aligned before making any adjustments. Hopes are on the decline at this stage:

Nevertheless I untightened the 32mm axel nut and adjusted the position of the right hand side to be exactly in the middle between marks 4 and 5, as it was on the left hand side and then took the bike for a test drive.

Sadly no difference at all!

I then decided to test if I can feel any difference if the right hand side is on the 4th mark and later on the 5th mark while keeping the left hand side on exactly between 4 and 5 as follows:

All the way to 5th mark:

All the way to the 4th mark:

Sadly no matter at what position the right hand side is, 4, 4.5 or 5 the pull to the right remains at the same in magnitude.

This leads me to suspect that rear wheel alignment is not the root cause of the problem, perhaps front fork geometry but this is above my pay-grade.

The bike is scheduled to go to the dealer later this week, I will report if there is anything to report.

Thoughts are welcome.

• Offline Christiaan   us

• ZH2 Member  ‐    26

Offline Christiaan

• ZH2 Member
    • Christiaan
    • Bike: 21 zH2 SE
    • Town / City: Springfield, MO 🇺🇸
    Reply #36 on: August 21, 2022, 06:56:37 pm
    August 21, 2022, 06:56:37 pm
    Thanks for the play-by-play! Looking forward to hearing from you after your trip to the dealership.  :762:

• Offline Nacra6   gb

• ZH2 Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Nacra6

• ZH2 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #37 on: August 25, 2022, 09:06:35 am
    August 25, 2022, 09:06:35 am
    So I returned to the dealer, they took the bike for a test drive and after discussing this with Kawasaki concluded that there is nothing wrong with the bike!

Incredibly disappointing.

• Online John_A   gb

• ZH2 Pro  ‐    190

Online John_A

• ZH2 Pro
    • Bike: ZH2 SE
    Reply #38 on: August 25, 2022, 09:18:23 am
    August 25, 2022, 09:18:23 am
    Looking at the before/after pictures, I get the impression that you pulled the axle back from both sides.
    That tightens the chain, probably too much as well.
    What you need to do is only pull it back on one side.
    From the 'before' settings it looks like the Right side was pulled from the factory slightly more than the left (maybe a mm?)
    If you felt that the bike pulled to the right, maybe you could push the axle a mm forward from the right side, leaving the left side as it was. That would make both marks at exactly the same location.
    If that doesn't make a difference, than perhaps the issue is not rear wheel alignment.
    Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:19:32 am by John_A
    Cheers,

John

• Offline MattR   england

• Forum Help and Support
    • ZH2 Member  ‐    81

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
    • ZH2 Member
    • Town / City: Bristol
    Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 09:43:15 am
    August 25, 2022, 09:43:15 am
    Assuming the rear end of the bike is now correctly aligned (chain tightening issues aside), and your wheels/tyres are ok, then it makes sense that your problem is at the front end of the bike.

Explaining how to fix (or check) the front end is a little convuluted so I've tried to find a few vids to help which are below. Quite a bit needs to gently loosened and I wouldn't attempt this unless you feel competent and have a torque wrench. Anyway have a look at the vids as they give you an idea what I mean  :038: